Click on Next Art or directly on an image.
Gabriola Palette People is an informal art group that was formed many years ago to provide an inclusive and creative art environment where members come together regularly to develop their artistic skills. Members get together once or twice weekly to create art using watercolour, acrylic, oil paints or mixed media.
Known as 'Palette People', the objectives of this art group are to:
- Provide an opportunity for members to meet and practice their visual art skills.
- Ensure that all members enjoy this association in an inclusive, safe and respectful environment.
- Provide workshops at a reasonable fee to help the members develop new skills.
- Encourage members at all levels of skill to increase their potential by constructive observations in a congenial atmosphere.
- Arrange for at least one show a year of members’ art work where the public may purchase pictures.
- Provide members with an opportunity to buy basic art supplies through group purchase.
Bylaws, Standing Rules, Committees and Roles
Committees and Roles
2017 Executive Board
Barbara Hague, President
Ken Manninen, Vice-President
Maxine McRae, Past-President
Cathie Compton, Treasurer and Membership
Dawn Zintel, Workshops
Dawn Zintel, Communications and Website
Display and Art Hanging - Erika Hammond
Archives - Christine Velsen
Members of this organization shall be:
- Active – paid up members who have attended at least one Annual General Meeting (AGM) and/or Business Meeting a year and at least 6 regular art sessions a year
- Associate – paid up members who have an interest in the group and who do not meet the criteria of an active member
Eligibility for membership:
- It is not necessary to be a Senior, age 55 or older, to be a member of Palette People.
- Potential members may come for two (2) sessions before applying for membership
- Members must also become members of the Gabriola Senior Citizens’ Association
- To demonstrate their commitment to be eligible to retain membership in Palette People, members shall be kind, courteous, polite and respectful to each other at all times.
- Annual fee payable by active members is $15.
- Annual fee payable by associate members is $10.
- The membership year will be from January 1st to December 31st. If a new member joins on August 1 or later, the fee will be $7.50
- Fees are due for both the Gabriola Senior Citizen’s Association and the Gabriola Palette People by March 31st.
- The Gabriola Senior Citizens’ Association levies a nominal charge for use of the hall to each member attending an art session or workshop.
- All Active paid up members shall have the privileges of the organization, including voting.
- All Associate paid up members shall have the same privileges as active members except as defined under the Standing Rules.
- Longstanding Active members, who for health reasons and other extenuating circumstances are unable to attend requisite meetings and art sessions, at the discretion of the Executive, may participate in shows and workshops and vote as Active members. A written request must be made to the Executive.
Regular Art Sessions
- Art sessions are held on Tuesdays and Fridays from 9 to 12 pm. Members may paint on Tuesday and Friday afternoons until 4 pm provided the Gabriola Senior Citizens’ Association does not require use of the Rollo Centre. Members may use oil paints either day provided that the oil paints are water-soluble or odorless solvents are used.
- At all sessions, including workshops, members are expected to help set up and take down tables, stack chairs and take turns in keeping the kitchen in order (i.e.: coffee urn, dishwasher).
- At all sessions members are required to check off the sheet, which indicates attendance and payment of the levy for the use of the Rollo Centre ($2.00 for members and $5.00 for visitors or non-members after attending twice at no charge). It is requested that this be done immediately upon arrival. The Senior Citizen’s Association expects an accounting from each meeting.
- To avoid disturbing painters throughout the Tuesday sessions, any business to be transacted should be taken care of at 10:30 am. This includes announcements, guest introductions, payment of fees and the purchasing of supplies, etc.
Ken Manninen: www.KenManninen.com
Anne Havard: www.annehavard.artistwebsites.com
Esther Robison: www.Esther Robison.com
Shows and Events
July 16 - 17, 2016
685 North Road, Gabriola Island
Gabriola Professional Medical Centre, North Road, February 23-April 17, 2015
Palette People has been invited to have a show in the lobby, reception area, hallways and offices of the Professional Medical Centre on North Road from February 23-April 17, 2015. Start painting now as this venue has a lot of space to fill. This is a wonderful opportunity to hang our very best art. For more information, please speak with Maxine McCrae at a Tuesday meeting.
The Gabriola Palette people show at the Wellness Center, which includes the Doctor's offices and the blood check center.
They show monthly at the Seniors Rollo Center with a theme show each hanging.
At the Silva Bay Boat Liquor store the yachties and the south island people see new work every 2 months.
Helen's Gym at the north end of the island changes an artist exhibit monthly.
FALL WORKSHOP 2017
'Brushwork Essentials' Workshop
Instructor - Lalita Hamill, SFCA, http://lalitahamill.com
Date - Oct. 28 & 29, 2017 at Rollo Centre on Gabriola sland; 9 to 4PM
Cost - $135.00 CDN for the weekend for Gabriola Palette People Active Members; $150.00 for non-Members
Lunch - Bring your own lunch
Medium - Acrylic or oil (see supply list below)
Remember to read the Workshop Cancellation Policy at the bottom of this workshop deion.
What kind of look/feel do you want in your paintings? Do you want to be able to see your brushstrokes, and if so, how much? Do you want crisp clarity? Softness? Do you want colours to be completely mixed beforehand or to mix on the canvas? Or both?
For those wanting to improve their brushwork technique, this workshop consists of exercises, studies and demos specifically designed to help you develop key brushwork knowledge and skills. Techniques will include the following: choosing a brush, brush grips, effective loading and appropriate consistency of paint, pressure, variety of strokes, dry brushing, blending and glazing.
Attention will also be given to creating a specific mood and an interesting eye flow within your work by using a variety of hard, soft, lost and found edges as well as uncovering your personal ‘style’. Participants may use either oil or acrylic mediums.
TOPICS WE WILL CONSIDER & PRACTICE
Painting surface, viscosity (wet or dry), brush size, shape, length & type, amount of paint (thick or thin), body stance and hand grip techniques, gestures (strokes), edges & transitions, pressure, palette knives, recovery when things go sideways.
Oil or acrylic paint. Brushes, palette, easel, solvents, canvas (see below)
With respect to all supplies, please just bring what you have. There is no need to buy anything new, especially paint colours (as long as you have one yellow, one red, one blue, black & white, we can work with what you have).
However, if you do not have any supplies, the colours I will bring are the following. I have placed a star by the colours I use most often:
Titanium white* Burnt Sienna*
Yellow ochre* Cadmium red light
Cad yellow medium Cadmium red medium
Hansa yellow (or lemon yellow)* Rose Madder or Alizarin Crimson
Cereulean blue* Burnt Umber*
Cobalt blue Raw Umber
Payne’s Grey (optional)
Please bring enough canvas to complete 12 small (5”x7” and 8”x10”) studies and exercises, which could be in the form of:
- A pad of canvas paper sheets, or loose gessoed canvas (rolled, and can cut to size in class), or
- large canvases on which we will ‘tape off’ smaller areas to do studies, or
- canvas boards or stretched canvases
- Acrylic painters will need a small bottle of acrylic gloss glazing medium, Golden brand
- Oil painters must use an odourless mineral spirit and jars with lids for solvents
FOR MORE WORKSHOP INFORMATION, CONTACT: Dawn Zintel,email@example.com
Gabriola Palette People Workshop Registration, Payment, Wait List and Cancellation Policy
Please notify the Workshop Coordinator when you want to register for a workshop by email or in person at a meeting at Rollo Centre.
A deposit of $25.00 is required at time of registration to hold a spot for you. Payment of the remaining workshop fee is required 30 days in advance of the workshop start date (Amount to be determined for each workshop, please see the applicable Workshop announcement).
Payment by cheque should be made to Gabriola Palette People. We do not accept post-dated cheques. Mail or hand-deliver cheque to the Palette People Treasurer: Name and address
Each Painting Workshop has been priced on the basis of a minimum number of members required to cover the costs of facilitating the workshop. If, after you have paid in full, you find you are unable to attend, there are two options:
- You may find your own substitute in which case any financial transaction is between you and your substitute.
- We will gladly refund your workshop fees if we are able to replace you from a waiting list.
In the event that a registrant for a workshop has an unexpected crisis due to illness, accident or death in the family, a request to the Executive may be made to forego the cancellation penalties.
In the event that a workshop you wish to take is full, you can choose to be placed on a waiting list by contacting the workshop coordinator. Any positions that may open up will be filled based on the date of placement on the wait list. If we are unable to contact you, we will move to the next listed individual.
If We Cancel:
In the unlikely event that we or the instructor need to cancel a workshop, all fees that have been collected will be fully refunded.
Approved January 5, 2016
British Columbia, Canada
Web Address: http://www.GabriolaPalettePeople.ca